Mounting the DOF MK2
1. Mount your phone into the Beastgrip Pro and align the lens mount with your phone’s camera.
2. Screw the DOF MK2 into the lens mount.
3. Release the lever (A) and rotate the barrel (B) clockwise until the focusing screen is aligned horizontally; then lock the lever.
For the best user experience, we recommend locking the rotating barrel (B) with the release pin (D) facing outwards, as shown in the image.
4. Attach your SLR or DSLR lens to the bayonet mount.
The DOF MK2 Adapter displays your image upside down. For the best experience, we recommend using one of the third-party apps below to flip the image back to normal while shooting:
1. Launch your camera app and invert the image back to its normal orientation.
2. Lock your phone's focus (usually by tapping/holding the screen or the square on some apps).
3. Turn the focus dial on your SLR/DSLR lens until your image is in focus.
The main purpose of the DOF MK2 is to add a beautiful, real shallow depth-of-field and bokeh to your photos and videos. For the best results, we recommend using lenses that meet the following criteria:
There is some light loss when using the DOF MK2. For the best results, we recommend using fast lenses with an aperture between f1.2 - f2.8, and opening your aperture as wide as possible. You can use lenses with a slower/closed aperture, but results may vary.
The DOF MK2 is designed for full frame lenses. Although crop/APS-C lenses like the Canon EF-S or Nikon DX will technically work, they will have a lot of vignetting and are not recommended.
Your lens needs to be able to focus manually without being attached to a DSLR camera body. Lenses like the Canon STM that rely on electronics or a camera body to focus are not compatible with the DOF MK2.
Compatible lens mounts
Canon EF lenses can be mounted directly onto the DOF MK2 and are compatible "out of the box," as long as the requirements above are met.
The following lenses can be mounted on the DOF MK2 with a simple adapter ring. Note: We will offer these adapter rings on our web store soon - stay tuned!
Attention: Mirrorless and/or Micro Four Thirds lenses are not compatible with the DOF MK2.
Some customers have reported issues with Fotodiox brand adapter rings. For this reason, we recommend avoiding these adapter rings.
If you're unsure if your lens is compatible, please send us a link to the technical specs of the lens at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to find out for you.
The DOF MK2 is mostly maintenance-free. The sensitive focusing screen is fully enclosed for protection from dust and damages. Due to the nature of this technology, there may still be microscopic imperfections or specs on the diffuser surface of the focusing screen - which is normal.
ATTENTION: Disassembling the DOF MK2 will void the warranty and likely damage the internal optical components.
The DOF Adapter MK2 is an amazing tool for creating unique and artistic film-style looks, but there are some limitations worth mentioning:
- The image is flipped upside down - as we mentioned in the recommended apps section, the DOF Adapter MK2 flips your image upside down. Visit the recommended apps section above for more information on third-party apps that correct this for you.
- Edges of the focusing screen - On phones with a focal length equivalent of 28mm or wider, you will need to zoom in slightly to remove the edges of the focusing screen and fill the frame.
- Light reduction - the DOF Adapter MK2 reduces light by around 20%. You’ll also want to take your lens' f-stop value into consideration, which also reduces light. For the best results, we recommend shooting in well-lit environments. Visible textures - the focusing screen has microscopic indentations that diffuse light and micro engravings on the other side (Fresnel lens), which are both necessary for the adapter to function. In some cases you may see some of these textures in your image. These textures are more apparent in certain lighting conditions and with smaller apertures (larger f numbers). For the best results, we recommend using fast lenses, shooting in well-lit environments and always keeping your aperture wide open.
- Dust/Microscopic particles - the DOF Adapter MK2 works differently than other optical systems. Since it projects the image onto a small focusing screen, which your phone then records by looking through a macro lens, it's very important to keep the focusing screen dust-free to prevent imperfections from getting on your image. For this reason, we assemble the DOF Adapter MK2 in a clean, dust-free room and enclose it on both sides with multi-coated glass to eliminate the chance of dust from getting on the focusing screen. However, there's a slight chance that a microscopic-sized imperfection/particle/piece of dust that's naked to the human eye could get on the screen during the manufacturing process and show up on your image.